- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 orange extract (optional)
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
|Step 1||In a large bowl, combine 3 cups powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, 1 teaspoon almond extract and eggs. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour, baking powder and cream of tartar. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.|
|Step 2||Heat oven to 375°F. Divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface, roll each half 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes with 3-inch cookie cutters. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.|
|Step 3||Bake 7 - 10 minutes or until edges are light brown. |
Allow cookies to cool on cookies sheet for 3 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes before decorating cookies.
|Step 4||Tips: |
* You can divide this recipe in half for a smaller batch of cookies.
* Roll dough to an even thickness by rolling over two wooden dowels or rulers. Use dowels or rulers in the desired thickness, and place them on opposite sides of the dough.
*Roll out dough between to pieces of wax or parchment paper to desired thickness. Place dough in freezer for approximately 15 minutes. Remove paper and cut out shapes. (Placing dough in the freezer hardens the dough and makes for easier cookie cutting.