The fastest, easiest, “healthier” Macaroni and Cheese you’ll ever eat!
Low-calorie? Cheese? Butter? Let me at it!
Last week, in our company kitchen, we have a full kitchen at work, I smelled the aroma of cheese, Asigo cheese, to be exact. Now, I’m not a crazy cheese fan like many people I know, but I do LIKE cheese, especially stronger cheeses. But as I came across the corner of the kitchen, there was Meagan scrambling to make herself dinner before she headed off after work to meet her high-school cheer group. I had introduced her and another co-worker to the Spiralizer and they were both immediately hooked. So, there was Meagan mixing her spiralized concoction in a large bowl. Being the foodie that I am, I had to ask her what she was making. “Mac ‘n Cheese, it’s really good!” she said with a huge smile. “It’s so easy; zucchini, cheese and butter!” I could see that she was really proud of her new recipe using her spiralizer and that it seemed really good and healthy and low-calorie, too! After Meagan’s quick demo, I couldn’t believe how simple and easy this was to make and with only three ingredients. But if you think about it, many traditional pasta dishes are simply flavored, as well. So my first dish of “Macaroni” and Cheese was made and documented at work for this blog during lunch-time. Quick. Easy. Delicious! Especially with a bit of pepper. This recipe is so adaptable too. You can add just about anything to it. I think small dices of ham or bacon would be really tasty, that’s if you eat meat. So, if you are watching your fat and calories and like zucchini and LOVE macaroni and cheese, you’ll love Meagan’s no-guilt “Macaroni” and Cheese just the way she makes it. Let me know what you think! If you are interested in the Broccoli Cheddar Breakfast Muffin recipe, which is a savory muffin pictured with my “Macaroni and Cheese lunch, click HERE. Enjoy
- 1 medium zucchini or yellow squash, peeled and spiraled
- 1 teaspoon of butter, melted
- 1 ounce of Asiago Cheese, grated finely
- salt and pepper to taste
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin of the zucchini, then spiralize. If the zucchini has excess water, pat dry with paper towels
- Chop the spiraled zucchini lightly with a large knife creating one inch loops (do not over chop).
- Place "pasta" in a microwavable bowl for about 30-40 seconds to warm.
- Remove the "pasta" from micro-wave and pour the melted butter over it.
- Mix the melted butter into the "pasta" lightly with a fork to coat thoroughly. Quickly add the grated asiago cheese and toss, once more.
- Micro-wave the "pasta" again for about 30-60 seconds. Mix. Add salt if needed, and add the pepper to taste.
- Serve on a warm or hot plate (optional).
- I neglected to melt the butter first before mixing in the cheese and I HIGHLY recommend this step. Coating the "pasta" with the melted butter first assures that every bit of buttery flavor coats the pasta and the cheese will adhere to it better, as well.
Macaroni and Cheese (Meagan’s Mac ‘n Cheese)
- 1 Medium zucchini or yellow squash (peeled and spiralized)
- 1oz asiago cheese (grated finely)
- salt and peper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon butter